Well, this morning marked a full 24 hours of Jacob breathing without the aid of the cpap and all is well. Ashley and I went to see him around 2pm this afternoon and he was all stretched out, snoozing peacefully. He is up to just over 1/2 oz per feeding, and they plan to continually up that, and decrease his fluids he is receiving via IV as long as he continues to tolerate his increased feedings just fine. So far that has been a non-issue. He was also off the BP monitor so he has just the IV, feeding tube, and heart/lung monitors left, along with his temp monitor, which he has also been maintaining on his own for 24 hours.
He is wearing a little hat that was in his isolette yesterday when we went in. The nurses told me that they have a girl who was born there at 24 weeks who is now a healthy, active 14 yr old. She makes little hats and booties for the babies all the time, and delivered some yesterday. She makes them for the holidays so this is his "candy corn" hat. Apparently it was annoying him in his sleep because he kept pulling on it so I finally took it off.
I held him for a little over an hour and a half "kangaroo" style, which he seems to like. He was actually awake for a good part of the time I was there, looking around, just kinda taking it all in. I have a feeling it is only a matter of time before he figures out how to yank out his feeding tube. He's trying really hard to get that thing out, both by tugging on it with his hands, and pushing it out with his tongue. All the nurses describe him as very feisty :P Can't imagine where he could have gotten that from....
