We had originally thought he would be coming home today. He got a new doctor yesterday who disagreed, and had pushed it back an extra day or two. While I want him home more than anything I am thankful for that doctor's decision to keep him.
Yesterday was a tough day for Jacob. He had a shot, circumcision, was jostled about going from procedure to procedure, had tylenol, and had a long bath, while I was learning what to do to bathe him, and had more feeds by breast than normal. (All his feeds are breastmilk but some by bottle)
Last night/early this morning Jacob had an apnea spell where he stopped breathing for 20 seconds. His heart rate plummeted and he required the nurse to pick him up and stimulate him to recover. While these are quite common in preemies, we have been lucky that he has not had any episodes before now. While the doctor is fairly confident that it was the result of just too much stress on him yesterday, he now will not be discharged for several more days as a result.
The hospital's "rule" is a 5 day countdown without further episodes before they will revisit discharging him, so he will be there at least through the weekend.
Had I roomed in with him last night, we might very well have lost him, as he would not have been on the monitor that detected he had stopped breathing and set off alarms.
